What you Must Know
As Much as I hate saying there are rules to follow, there are rules to follow. This is a diet that doesn't allow you to "cheat." This is a diet designed to make your heart do it's normal functions easier, keep you out of the hospital, and give you more "quality of life." There are things you MUST know. Take the time to commit them to memory. As you learn and practice the rules they become second nature and they are "just what you do" But you need to learn them first, and we are here to help.
• The most obvious. Put the Salt Shaker out of sight. It is a habit to grab and shake.
• Learn to not only read, but to also understand the nutrition label on all foods
• If you can't verify salt/sodium content levels in food ( ex: it has no label) Do Not Buy It.
• Learn what spices to avoid. If it has the word "Salt" in it, move on. Garlic Salt, Onion Salt, Celery Salt are all off limits.
• Some sauces are also basically "salt licks" and must be avoided at all cost, soy sauce, teriyaki sauce, oyster sauce, hoisin sauce are all off
• Never, ever assume that if you can't taste or don't associate a food with salt it doesn't have any. Ice cream has a high sodium level, as does cookies, bread etc.
• Canned food can be the worst for sodium, canned vegetables, pasta sauces, meats etc will ruin your day.
• Keep track of your daily sodium intake. Everyday.